CSAW 2012 Keynote Speaker
Daniel Earl Geer Jr.
- Computer Science/Electrical Engineering at MIT, 1972
- Biostatistics Doctorate of Science at Harvard, 1988
- Worked on The X Window System and Kerberos at MIT (1988),
- Worked at the first information security consulting firm on Wall Street (1992)
- Convenor of the first academic conference on electronic commerce (1995),
- Gave the "Risk Management is Where the Money Is" speech that changed the focus of security (1998)
- Has assumed the Presidency of USENIX Association (2000)
- Was involved in the first call for the eclipse of authentication by accountability (2002)
- Was the principal author of and spokesman for "Cyberinsecurity: The Cost of Monopoly" (2003)
- Co-founder of SecurityMetrics.Org (2004)
- Convener of MetriCon (2006-present)
- Author of "Economics & Strategies of Data Security" (2008)
- Author of "Cybersecurity & National Policy" (2010).
- Creator of the Index of Cyber Security (2011) and the Cyber Security Decision Market (2011).
- Advisor to or Board member for a number of promising startups and their funding sources
- Has over 100 refereed publications
- Two books and many book chapters
- Three patents
- Over two hundred fifty invited presentations, twenty percent of which were keynotes including ten abroad
- Been employed in technology selection and standardization work
- Stood five times before the US Congress, of which two were lead witness.
- Commercial teaching history: both extensive in scope and in excess of ten thousand students in the aggregate.
Participation in Government:
Advisory roles for:
- Federal Trade Commission
- Departments of Justice and Treasury
- National Academy of Sciences
- National Science Foundation
- US Secret Service
- Department of Homeland Security
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- White House
- In-Q-Tel's counterparties
- Frequently consulted by the business and technical press
- Member of most relevant professional and trade organizations (public and private)
- Extensive civic involvement including several service recognition awards at the national level
- Skilled debater