Health and Safety

  • Students with special health and physical needs should inform the Office of Undergraduate Academics. Together, they will determine whether these needs can be fulfilled during a student's stay abroad.
  • Students with special physical and health conditions and chronic illnesses should discuss their travel plans with their health care provider, who can determine how best to address on-going treatment, therapy, or other concerns.
  • Students should determine if their current health care insurance provides the same level of coverage overseas. New York University provides a medical insurance plan for all domestic students enrolled for 9 or more credits. While coverage under this policy is available 24 hours a day worldwide, international heath care providers vary in their acceptance of particular plan provisions.
  • Participants in the study abroad program may also apply for medical coverage through HTH Worldwide Insurance Services
  • The School of Engineering requires students participating in the study abroad program to certify that they have adequate health and medical insurance for the duration of their stay overseas. This includes medical evacuation/repatriation coverage comparable to that offered by HTH Worldwide Insurance Services.
  • The Center for Disease Control (CDC) offers information about geographic health recommendations, specific disease outbreaks and other information related to health concerns in foreign countries. We encourage you to visit the CDC's website for more information.

Safety and Security

Students going abroad must familiarize themselves with conditions in the country to which they are traveling. The Department of State provides current information about country conditions, and how they may impact Americans traveling abroad. Consular Affairs also contains information about entry regulations, health conditions, crime and security, as well as the locations and addresses of consulates and embassies. If you have questions or need additional information please contact the Office for Undergraduate Academics.

Keeping in Touch While Abroad

It is important for students to provide the School of Engineering with their address, phone number, and e-mail address so that they continue to receive important information and updates related to life and study at the School of Engineering while they are studying abroad.